Herbal Apprenticeship 2020
- 7 Month Certifications Course
Our program begins on May 16th and meets two Saturdays a month through November 21st. Students get hands-on experience making tinctures, teas, oils, salves, flower essences…etc, and are exposed to various herbal traditions including Chinese, Ayurvedic, and Western herbalism. Each month we cover a different body system and the herbs that nourish and support it. Herbal energetics are introduced to students, as well as developing some intuitive skills which make choosing “the right herbs” less of a guessing game. Throughout the course we will learn to identify and harvest local medicinal plants and each person will study one herb per month as a homework assignment. Students are awarded a certificate in herbalism upon the completion of their training. This course is led by director Melanie Rose Scofield and our wonderful core faculty: Jillian Twisla, Steve Byers, and Oceanna Miller. We take occasional field trips and get outside as much as possible. This is a foundational apprenticeship that prepares students for the Community Herbalist Training. Tuition cost is $1025 which includes the cost of the course book and all materials. Payment plans are available. Please inquire.
2020 Herbal Apprenticeship dates:
May 16, 30 (digestive system)
June 13, 27 (respiratory system)
July 11, 25 (cardiovascular system)
August 8, 29 (nervous system)
September 12, 26 (reproductive and muscular-skeletal systems)
October 10, 24 (endocrine and immune systems)
November 7, 21 (urinary system, GRADUATION!)
*Classes will be held at Melanie’s home in Rockport from 10-5. Apprenticeships are life changing experiences and we look forward to sharing this incredible journey of healing with you! For more information, please email us directly, or call Melanie @ 617-755-8063
Community Herbalist Training 2020
- 2nd Level Certification Course
- 6 Months January-June
This certification course provides students with the skills they need to begin working as a Community Herbalist. After the completion of a first level apprenticeship, which represents the “body”, we now enter the “mind” with this Intermediate level training. We focus on deepening our understanding of chronic illnesses, furthering our knowledge of medicinal plants, and learning about the art of consultations. Students will learn how to create a client intake form, how to read the face, tongue, pulse, and nails as part of an intake. We place importance on learning the history of Western herbal medicine, drug/herb interactions, how to work with autoimmune conditions, how to support those with cancer, understanding the energetics of tissue states, and the legalities behind establishing a private practice. The core teachers for the Advanced Herbal Training are Melanie Rose Scofield– clinical herbalist and Earthwalk Director, Jillian Twisla– clinical herbalist of Hope, ME, and Steve Byers– clinical herbalist of Belfast, ME.
This course has two primary focuses: classes and clinics. The classes are held on 12 Saturdays from 10-5, which meet about every 2 weeks with some exceptions. Students will receive 15+ hours of hands-on clinical practice during class hours. Our clinics will be a combination of performing intakes on each other, and also bringing in clients from outside of our class. Everyone will have an opportunity to play an active role in performing an intake, practicing diagnostic skills, formulating, and creating customized protocols. Given the fact that this course begins in the unpredictable Maine winter, snow dates will be arranged. Students will get 15 hours of clinical experience in which everyone gets an opportunity to play an active role in giving an intake, practicing diagnostic skills, formulating, and creating customized protocols. Clinics are always supervised by an experienced Earthwalk teacher. Assignments and required reading are also part of the course.
Students who complete this course will receive a Community Herbalist certificate.
Tuition cost is $950. A non-refundable deposit of $150 is required at the time of registration. Payment plans are available. Please inquire! The tuition fee covers materials and your course book. 1 additional book will be required, not costing more than $25.
To sign up for the Community Herbalist Training, students must have completed a first level Apprenticeship either through the Earthwalk School or through another comparable training/apprenticeship. In order to receive a certificate, you must miss no more than one class. If another class is missed, the student must make up the class by arranging a private make up date with a teacher for $50 or some other arrangement that gets you caught up. We need to know that you know your stuff!
- January 11- History of Western Herbalism, The Code of Ethics, Reading the Body (Melanie)
- January 25- Greek Humoral System, The 6 Tissue States, Reading the Tongue and Nails (Melanie and Jillian)
- February 1- Chinese 5 Elements, Yin/Yang, Pulses (Melanie and Steve)
- February 22- Ayurvedic Principles, CLINIC 2PM (Melanie and Jillian)
- March 7- Advanced Gut Health, Working with Inflammation, Auto-Immune Conditions (Melanie and Steve)
- March 21- Reviewing Homework and Case Studies, 10 Skillful Means, CLINIC 2 PM (Melanie)
- April 4- Advanced Women’s Health, Herbs for Pregnancy, Herbs for Kids (Melanie and Jillian)
- April 18- Lyme disease, CLINIC 2PM (Melanie and Steve)
- May 9- Chakra System and Intro to Energy Bodies, Review Case Studies (Melanie and Jillian)
- May 23- Working with Cancer, Herb/Drug Contraindications, CLINIC 2PM (Melanie)
- June 6- Legalities of the Practicing Herbalist, Review Case Studies (Melanie)
- June 20- Final Projects Due, Surprises await, Graduation! (Melanie, Jillian, and Steve)
We hope you will consider our school for your education in the herbal arts. If you have any questions pertaining to this course, please use the contact form below or call Melanie @ 617-755-8063
Advanced Clinical Mentorship 2020
- 1 Year Program
- 3rd Level Certification
- November 2020 – November 2021
The Earthwalk School of Herbal Traditions is very excited to announce it’s long-time-coming 3rd level program, which is an Advanced Clinical Mentorship. This program will be a year-long course that dives into the very spirit of herbalism, with an emphasis on deep healing, connection, and clinical study. This completes the journey for the herbalist seeking a solid foundation in the professional skills necessary to become a successful practicing herbalist.
Our first level Apprenticeship represents the Body. This level is hands-on learning. Making products, learning anatomy and physiology, meeting the plants. A wonderful introduction.
The intermediate level Community Herbalist Training represents the Mind. We begin in the winter. It is a more introspective course. We begin learning how to read the body with facial, tongue, and pulse analysis. We learn how to perform an intake for someone seeking herbal guidance. We begin to understand more complicated health conditions. We give you the skills to be able to help others.
This 3rd level represents the Spirit. This levels focuses on internalizing the lessons of the first two courses, and the tone of this course takes on a more spiritual note. In this level you will attend a class once a month, perform case studies, commune with nature, read books, and attend clinics. Students will have 2, one hour check-ins with their assigned mentor each month, which can be done over the phone, on the computer, or in person. This allows for a deeper understanding of protocols and provides students a safe space for processing consultations and receiving constructive feedback.
We designed this course with the idea that it will be able to fit into your working and parenting life, so we hope that the schedule is accommodating to you.
This course will be led by local, clinical herbalists, Melanie Scofield, Jillian Twisla, and Steve Byers, along with guest teachers Madelon Hope (Director of the Boston School of Herbal Studies), Tommy Priester (Clinician, Shamanic Practitioner, and Owner of Bear Medicine Herbs), and Natalie DeNormandie (Herbalist, Landscape Architect, and Botanist.) Students will be awarded with a Clinical Herbalist Certificate upon the completion of this course.
Class dates and subjects:
- November 14- Introduction class @ Hyllantree. Grounding and Boundaries with Jillian.
- December 12- Class at Earthwalk with Madelon Hope- Trauma and the Vagus Nerve.
- January 16- @ Earthwalk with Melanie. External Applications of Herbal Medicines.
- February 20- @ Hyllantree with Steve. Body, Mind, Spirit therapeutics for healing the heart.
- March 20- @ Earthwalk with Steve. Physiology of detoxification pathways.
- April 17- @ Earthwalk with Melanie. Working with Addictions.
- May 22- @ Hyllantree with Jillian- Plant Allies, Power Animals, Shamanic Journeying
- June 19- @ Earthwalk with Natalie DeNormandie. Plant Families. Botany for Herbalists
- July 24, 25- Camping trip with Steve TBA. Stonington/Deer Isle
- August 21- @ Earthwalk with Tommy Priester. Clinical Practice with Tommy.
- September 18- @ Hyllantree with Jillian. Energy Body Anatomy.
- October 23- @ Earthwalk with Melanie, Jillian, and Steve. Student Presentations
- November 20- @ Earthwalk with Melanie, Jillian, and Steve. Student Presentations. Graduation!!!
All classes are held from 10-5 except for the camping trip which will be announced. Once students sign up we will send a detailed description of the classes, along with a list of books for reading assignments. Students will receive book report forms, clinical observation forms and handouts at the first class in November.
Hyllantree classes are held in Hope, just 15 minutes from the Earthwalk School. Directions will be provided to students in the introductory letter.
To Register: One must be competent in the field of herbalism. A knowledge of the plants and working with others is required to join this course. Please contact us if you are interested!
Payments: We require a 50% deposit upon registration. After that we offer a payment plan: 6 installments of $200 a month January thru June.
Please reach out if you are eagerly anticipating this level of training and have questions!