Community Herbalist Training 2023
- 2nd Level Certification Course
- 6 Months January-June
To sign up for the Community Herbalist Training, students must have completed a first level Apprenticeship either through the Earthwalk School or through another comparable training/apprenticeship.
This certification course provides students with the skills they need to begin working as a Community Herbalist. After the completion of a first level apprenticeship, which represents the “body”, we now enter the “mind” with this Intermediate level training. We focus on deepening our understanding of chronic illnesses, furthering our knowledge of medicinal plants, and learning about the art of consultations. Students will learn how to create a client intake form, how to read the face, tongue, pulse, and nails as part of an intake. We place importance on learning the history of Western herbal medicine, drug/herb interactions, how to work with autoimmune conditions, how to support those with cancer, understanding the energetics of tissue states, and the legalities behind establishing a private practice. The core teachers for the Community Herbalist Training are Melanie Rose Scofield– clinical herbalist and Earthwalk Director, and Jillian Twisla– clinical herbalist and ancestral healing practitioner of Hope, ME.
This course has two primary focuses: classes and clinics. The classes are held on 12 Saturdays from 10-4, which meet every 2 weeks with some exceptions. Students will get 15 hours of hands-on clinical experience during class hours. Our clinics will be a combination of performing intakes on each other, and also bringing in clients from outside of our class. Everyone will have an opportunity to play an active role in performing an intake, practicing diagnostic skills, formulating, and creating customized protocols. Given the fact that this course begins in the unpredictable Maine winter, snow dates will be arranged. Zooming into class will be an option for students are who sick, may have been exposed to Covid, or for some reason can’t make it to class.
Clinics are always supervised by an experienced Earthwalk teacher. Assignments, case studies, and required reading are also part of the course.
Students who complete this course will receive a Community Herbalist certificate.
Tuition cost is $1095. A non-refundable deposit of $195 is required at the time of registration. After the initial deposit, the course may be paid off in 5 deposits of $180. The first payment is due by the first day of class, and installments are due at the first class of each month thru May. The tuition fee covers materials and your course book. One additional book will be required, not costing more than $25. Once the course has begun, students must be financially committed to paying for the entire course. Please read our financial policy page for more details.
In order to receive a certificate, you must miss no more than one class. If another class is missed, the student must make up the class by arranging a private make-up date with a teacher for $50, watching the recorded video and writing a page on it, or some other arrangement that gets you caught up. We need to know that you know your stuff!
For more information about payment plans, and our financial policies, please go here.
- January 14- History of Western Herbalism, The Code of Ethics, Reading the Body (Melanie and Jillian)
- January 28- Greek Humoral System, The 6 Tissue States, Reading the Tongue and Nails (Melanie and Jillian)
- February 11- Chinese 5 Elements, Yin/Yang, Pulses (Melanie)
- February 25- Ayurvedic Principles, CLINIC 2PM (Melanie and Jillian)
- March 11- Advanced Gut Health, Working with Inflammation, Auto-Immune Conditions (Melanie and Jillian)
- March 25- Advanced Women’s Health, Herbs for Pregnancy, Herbs for Kids (Melanie and Jillian)
- April 8- 10 Skillful Means for the Practicing Herbalist, Review Case Studies, CLINIC 2PM (Melanie)
- April 22- Lyme disease, CLINIC 2PM (Melanie and Jillian)
- May 6- Chakra System and Intro to Energy Bodies, Review Case Studies (Melanie and Jillian)
- May 20- Working with Cancer, Herb/Drug Contraindications, CLINIC 2PM (Melanie)
- June 3- Legalities of the Practicing Herbalist, Review Case Studies (Melanie and Jillian)
- June 17- Final Projects Due, Surprises await, Graduation! (Melanie, Jillian)
We hope you will consider our school for your education in the herbal arts. If you have any questions pertaining to this course, please use the contact form below or call Melanie @ 617-755-8063